granola bar recipe

These healthy snack bars were made today and they came out so well, I thought to share the recipe. It was inspired by this one. Feeding a young athlete can be difficult when the advice is to load up on sugar but you believe sugar is bad. We are constantly searching for convenient foods which have high nutrition value. These bars are ideal.




Granola Bars

Makes 8 bars.

Prepare:

Clean your bench, wash your hands. Turn on some music if you like that. When I was young, and wanted to do some sewing for my dolls, my mother and her friend taught me how a fresh and comfortable environment made all the difference to my crafting. I can't say I've consistently followed that advice, but when I have it really has improved things.

Mix together:

2 tablespoons peanut butter - or you could use some other nut butter if you wanted to be even healthier
1/2 cup honey - manuka is the best but unfortunately very expensive
1 teaspoon vanilla - not essential
2 eggs - I hope you will choose free range from a source you can trust.

Add to this mixture:

1 cup flour - preferably wheaten
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups other cereal (such as muesli, grain clusters, bran, either whatever you love or whatever you happen to have sitting in the pantry)

Add if you wish:

Raisins, dried apricots, sesame seeds, flaxseed, chia seeds, cranberries, dried pineapple, dark fair trade chocolate.

Press into a greased dish and bake at 180C ... 350F ... for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut into slices and ice (or not) according to taste.




I hope you enjoy these as much as we did.


Sharing with A Delightsome Life, The Wise Woman linkup, and Roses of Inspiration

10 comments:

  1. I just need flour and I can give these a go, they'll be a great snack for my partner during his physical working day. In regards to your weblog, I personally like the variety of topics. same with the background, the changes are always pleasant. it's your space.. your expression. i'd say just keep doing what you're doing.. as it comes to you. you have a wonderful way with words, and beautiful images here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Suskir: your space.. your expression. Don't you know by now that people who come here are reading because it's you, and not b/c of certain topics? Although that said—and only since I don't have young children nor do I homeschool, the style and limited content of the old Moonspun blog posts aren't of pressing interest to me.

    Anyhow, if I had to pick, I'd say your philosophical posts are my favorite. But everything in between is wonderful too, because, really, who can be philosophical all the time? And as for your background, I've actually grown to love how you change it up all the time. :)

    Thanks for the recipe. I have two long distance track athletes who are always starving after all the running they do, so I'm always looking for healthy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the reason I asked is because readership is diminishing and I am writing here for my audience, not for my personal expression. I do the latter in my book-writing.

      I appreciate your feedback :)

      Delete
  3. Those look yummy. I would have to change them for my daughter.

    Photo series to go along with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write recipes so delightfully! I should have known ;-) . I agree with Barb. I love the mix and your constant slow (but sometimes fast) evolution of styles and content you write, but I guess I'm not much help to work out your demographic, I will always read here while you write here. You have magic in your words that always manage to uplift or inspire. Thank you for sharing your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to blog Background, let it always be, what is pleasing to you. If anything is really hard to read or such, we can tell you. Although I'd be hard pressed, to envision your blog ever being hard to read.

    I'm soon turning 77, so I'm not into home schooling and etc. But that is logical, and not a vote against any topics here. What I particularly enjoy are philosophical posts, book reviews, any and all your thinking...

    But as I said, my saying this, is not a vote against, any other topic. Seems blogging can be of many things, on many days. But, that's just my view. You asked, I said.

    Actually, in a nutshell (as the saying goes), I would like you to keep posting, whatever you choose to post. That is not a helpful answer to your question. But it's what I feel.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. just made these today.. and enjoyed one with a nice cup of tea :) added a few goji berries. i'm very happy with them. thank you for the inspiration. loving your new space at hearthwise too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... sweet friend, these look and sound divine! I would love to make these and I have an idea my husband and son would thoroughly enjoy them.

    Thank you so much, dear Sarah, for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. I love having you at the party. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete