should we pay mothers?

I saw yesterday the call to pay mothers for the work they do raising children and making a home for their families. I've seen it before of course. Women have been raising the issue for decades. But I am saddened by how our society values everything, everyone, in terms of money.

When we reduce living things to their economic value, we not only disconnect from the reality of their souls, but we also disconnect from the real value of what they offer the world. A mother's loving care and guidance of her children is worth far more than a few dollars. It is the very stuff of humanity.





I understand that those calling to monetise motherhood and homemaking are coming from a good place in their hearts. And they would say that money is just the way the system works, and women deserve equal treatment within the system. I agree. But the system is wrong.

We should not buy and sell love.

Money should be our servant, not our god.

I believe that, if we want real change for women, real freedom for them to be valued for their true selves and the work they do, then we have to start by changing our perspective and our language. Mothers shouldn't get wages. They should get the respect and support of the entire community. That might mean financial support in some cases, but only as one aspect of a general attitude towards the real value of mothering.

Western society is like King Midas. We turn everything to gold, and you know how that ends. Everything dies, leaving a man who has nothing of value at all.


Joining in with The Art of Homemaking.



7 comments:

  1. I love and agree with your thoughts although I don't know what the details are regarding paying women for raising children in the case you are referring to. In my life I was lucky enough to be financially able (while making sacrifices) to stay home and raise my children. My friends, who worked wanted to stay home too, but they couldn't afford to. Now I noticed that most of these people had many luxuries afforded by a two income family, but some did not. I have often wondered if offering financial support to families wouldn't be a wise thing to do, not so much to place a monetary value on mothers, but to support and encourage parenting, while making it possible for those who want to raise their children full time, to do so. In doing this it would also send a message to the country that parenting is important to each and every child and society as a whole. (I often imagined this done with certain tax breaks for those who raise children on one income or financial help for single mothers, etc.) I know that for years we have been painting a picture of a happy woman who "has it all" but in my experience I have not found that many of these woman are all that happy and while their children were "well adjusted" I'm not sure they were as happy as children should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this country we do have government support for families called Working For Families, in which parents whose incomes are within a certain bracket get a financial supplement. We also support solo parents with government benefits - although our current government is enamoured with America and so our beautiful compassionate system is starting to collapse. I am just waiting now for health care to be dismantled. :(

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I meant to add - no government could take away support for solo mothers if the community as a whole truly supported the work of mothers. But a few years ago our liberal, female Prime Minister said mothers could have some time off with their babies "then get back into the workforce where they belong." (She herself is childless.) It was a sick thing to say but it seems our society at least partly agrees with her. There are more encouragers, financial and otherwise, for babies to be sent into daycare than there are for mothers to care for their children.

      Delete
  2. I think you've made a very good point about the dangers of monetizing everything. By doing so, we reduce the limitless value of life to something paltry--which can be owned and manipulated. It hurts my head to think about these things sometimes. Life could be so very simple and beautiful, but we have turned it into a complicated mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this post yesterday and have been thinking about it ever since. Yours is a humble and yet compelling perspective. I love how you call a spade a spade, because, really, we are thisclose to attempting to buy and sell love here in the Western world. I remain hopeful that we are gradually awakening to this disturbing trend...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for sharing your thoughts and letting me know that you're reading. It means alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting... I have never thought about being paid. I consider motherhood my God given role. I would fear a government who supported it financially would began to dictate and attempt to influence what is not theirs in the first place, my children. Thank you for sharing your heart on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I do so love that last line of yours.

    ReplyDelete