you are a beautiful mess

So when I said peace, I didn't mean just calm and quiet. I meant that moment when everything comes right. The holy moment - for if God is anything, it is rightness. In finding peace within ourselves, we are sanctified; we are with God.


I was thinking this morning in the early hushed light of how, if I have peace or rightness always within myself, only rarely do I come to it. I am a mess. I am wrong so often. But then I thought that, so long as I am wishing always for rightness, seeking and loving rightness, there is a forgiveness for me (and for everyone) - not just a pardoning, but a loving appreciation of my mess and my trying.

After all, what parent doesn't watch their child's bumbling with cookie-making or art or doing up buttons, and feel a great love for their sweet weakness? And even when children are wilfully bad, we can so easily see the pain or uncertainty, the longing and wishing, that drove them to their naughtiness.

I don't want to embrace my mess. I want to grow from it - to learn how buttons are buttoned, and how to make beautiful art. But at the same time, it helps to remember that nothing grows from perfection. Only in the mess, the dirt, the cracking open and spilling out, can we become our best selves and find truth.


6 comments:

  1. So right. And yet, I come here every day, and write and delete a comment, because it's "a mess" and I don't like how I'm expressing myself. So I'll just leave this one and accept myself in the mess. You have such a beautiful soul, Sarah. (p.s. it's me of the ever changing blog address...trying to embrace who I am)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you express yourself perfectly, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts, Sarah.

    "For I have given you an example, that as I have done to you, so you also should do." (Jn 13:15)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's the truest thing, sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely and true. Our messes evolve, not necessarily happening less often but happening differently, even wisely, as we grow ever more toward imperfect perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how beautiful you write. My heart flutters! How much meaning this has for me. Thank you. xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete