the joinery of the soul


I wrote the other day that there are no edges between us and the world. I believe that's true. But it's also true that there are edges within us. Edges, cracks, holes, unravelled seams, shatterings.

Perhaps that's the purpose of our living. We encapsulate a wounded space, and it is our task to heal it, bless it, as best we can.

To fill the cracks with gold.

And so look - you have come as a healer. A protector. A weaver or gold-maker. You are the brokenness of the world, and the only one who can repair it.

Perhaps the faults within your soul-wrapped space were gifted especially to you, for only you have what it takes to heal these particular faults, these strains in the cloth of the universe.

I hope you will share with others what you know of heart-stitches and old-time, well-used fixes. We need to pass the wisdoms around. For this is wearying, beautiful, hard work we do.

7 comments:

  1. ah, another post to love... just the other day i was working on a poem about (sort of) Kintsugi...

    it is hard work, but yes, beautiful, and always, worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and so very true. So many people could benefit from reading this and believing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night I uncovered the wound across my heart. One stitch was pink and swollen and sore. I was scared. Today I had it checked. Alll is well. I am just sore in the place where the knot holds the rest together. This is an old story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And something to know - you will look back in ten years' time and be amazed at the softness and the belongingness of your scars - still there, not vanished, but the difference then will be, you would not want them to be.

      Delete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful link (and metaphor)! As I read the post about Kintsugi, it struck me that the broken pot did not heal itself; Someone had to recognize its worth, see the beauty in the brokenness, and love it enough to pick out the pieces, carefully fit them together, and fix them with gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how much I love what you've written here, and how much I agree with you. For years I've argued against the prevailing idea that we can't heal ourselves by ourselves - the pot can not fix itself. Someone else is needed too. We heal, and find our worth, in relationship. I believe this on a psychological and spiritual level.

      Delete