on hushed and careful, unshod and gentle, feet

The most common advice available online to writers these days is to do a wild, unkempt first draft and then edit it to within an inch of its life. I myself grew up writing in the dark, in forests and on lonely islands, my words spilling over into the shadows and the sea. I never learned the right way to write. I guess I learned the feral mountain wind way, or the beach way. For better or for worse, most of my pieces remain in their final stage very close to what they were when first written : one draft, combed through repeatedly for grammar errors, continuity flaws, and awkward rhythms, but otherwise left pretty much alone. I would no doubt be a better writer if I edited more. But if I insisted to myself that I edit more, I would not write at all.

As I said a while ago, we hope to raise support for my child's new sport season. Equipment and travel is very expensive, and we really could not get by without fundraising and sponsorship. I might make amusing t-shirts or sell muffins, but I like to write, and so I write for funds, for dreams.

This week, I aim to announce a new fundraising project. A quietly-breathing, barely-edited, project. It's an experiment in the craft, a rather scary challenge for myself, and a hope which may provision our summer. If you are interested, check back here again in a day or two for the first glimpses.

And if you are a writer, or an artist, or anything really, I would tell you this : get your craft advice from kindred spirits. Because the best craft comes not from rule-following but true heart-singing. Be a kindred spirit to yourself.

Today's image is an old one, retouched with a Kim Klassen texture. I always so much appreciate Kim's generosity in sharing her beautiful textures.


17 comments:

  1. Fragile white beauty! I like it!
    Regards from Germany, Uwe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really soft and lovely and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredibly beautiful image and lovely post ... very interesting insight into a writers life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant and so soft. I never tire of this look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You paint a great picture. I can see you on the beach and in the forest. Lovely little cosmos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty photo! But I love what you say about writing... I am a rough writer, when I do write. I hesitate because I lack..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful image - a single gorgeous flower, so elegant. Lovely post too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words of advice are so true. When I receive advice from some people, I can feel my spirit wither and die. But when I come here, to a kindred spirit, I feel empowered and excited. Thank you. Looking forward to the next project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all! :-) When I saw so many comments in my inbox, I thought I had been struck by spammers again! I am so grateful for all your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be a kindred spirit to yourself...love that...awhile back I realized that I was my best friend and it was so wonderful~~

    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely !
    Such pretty flower ... and the word 'hush', perfect together !
    Have a nice week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. so thankful that you: never learned the right way to write

    I love your style and amazing creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm.. this is so very delicate. I really love this shot and your editing process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "...one draft, combed through repeatedly for grammar errors, continuity flaws, and awkward rhythms, but otherwise left pretty much alone."

    That's exactly how I do it, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete