blogging style

Everyone who keeps a weblog keeps it the same, year after year. Maybe a changed header picture, maybe an updated sidebar or refreshed look incorporating the same elements. But otherwise they never change their image. That's how it seems to me.

It's the sensible thing to do. You want your weblog, your style, to be recognisable. Beyond that, I think it's probably also the normal thing to do. People tend to be fairly centred within themselves. Bohemians don't shift so far from boho style that they're going to get suddenly aggravated by feathers in their header, and want to change it to lace and tea cups. Rose Cottage types aren't ever likely to think a soundtrack of grunge rock on their weblog would be a good idea.

It's a little more difficult when your godmothers were old, haunted hills and your muse is a wild wind whispering to you always a thousand different things that sound in the end like one thing: silence. The perfect silence at the heart of existence. I've not yet been able to find a way to template silence. Or the feeling that comes when you stand on a gritty road in the morning, and the hills around you are heavy and shadowy with half-woken memories, and the sky is laden with love, and you know you'll only ever have to close your eyes, no matter how old you get, and you'll be standing again in that moment, so the moment itself becomes something more than itself, and you do too, although you're only seven years old.

The thing is, though - that moment, it's not just about a gritty road in the morning before the bus arrives. It's Waldorf softness because when you were thirty-five you found a Waldorf school and it reminded you of home. It's weariness because you drove that way once with someone you should not have. It's afternoon tea old-lady style, with cream and jam, because a friend invited you to her nana's house next door to yours, one afternoon. And it's the world aching with loneliness, back before even dinosaurs, because that's what you're learning about in school.

And more. So much more. Everything.

I think that most people find satisfaction. They remember a moment as being just what it was. They like feathers, or tea cups, and that's enough. They don't need a sofa to have a long story behind it. They aren't endlessly restless, trying to describe thirty five years for one moment, or trying to depict dark wood, afternoon sunlight, oak trees, storms, white lace against pale skin, incence, talcum powder, boots, petticoats, folk music, rock music, calm white space, big photographs, old handmade houses, sweet pea flowers, weeping over a book, baking bread, kissing a hand in silence, country roads, crook-floored apartments in town, matte, roses, sensibility, gentleness, love stories, old wistful memories, all in one blog template.

12 comments:

  1. I have changed my blog template a few times as my life & style have changed. I think the one I have now will be the one I use for a while now (unless I get someone to design one specifically for me).

    I have such trouble with words that I wouldn't even begin to attempt a description of storms, white lace against pale skin, how it feels to hear the birds warbling outside, my favourite jumper, baking bread, the rest of the things you describe, or pretty much anything else. I think that's why I make photographs instead - an attempt to depict small moments, or memories of my life that I am unable to verbalise in any adequate way

    (I must say you do it beautifully - it's why I love coming here)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your photography is absolutely stunning, I can't tell you how much I love it. And I think your words are pretty special too. <3

      Delete
    2. you are very kind, thank-you
      x

      Delete
  2. Actually, I think you do a magnificent job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your words so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a unique style. And your blog look(s), always convey that...

    Not everyone is as lucky, to have a clear view of themselves. Some change, now and then.

    I used to love Backgrounds. Never screaming colors, but Backgrounds. I found lovely, soft, gentle Backgrounds and used them, for awhile.

    Then became mesmerized by all white blogs. So simple. Nothing competing for attention, on the edges. Large photos show up so amazingly. Even words, seem to stand out more... With all white.

    For now, that is....

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel silence and peace here. It's different here...it's very personal and peaceful, quietly soulful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would reinvent my template every month, if I could. I settle for changes to headers, link colors, ornamentation. I spend way too much time poring over elements I love on other people's sites. I stress over elements that I know aren't displaying well on mobile, or are difficult for a friend with visual difficulties to read. I change up the content of my sidebars as if it's Of Vital Importance, even though I know few people are scrutinizing them--since most people read my posts on a feed reader anyway.

    I do it on Tumblr, too, where it matters little (I don't even post there that often) but where I don't have to pay so much attention to functionality and audience--my perpetual challenge on the blog, where I work to represent both the personal and professional sides of myself. I try to satisfy my own craving for rich color without overwhelming my readers. I'm never fully satisfied, but that's because, like you, what satisfies my visual sense isn't static. Sometimes when I see a screen shot of my template from years ago, I'm startled: oh! is *that* who I was then?

    Your description of what you yearn for in a design is fascinating (and rich and lovely)--I don't think I have the same desire to call up images and backstory (it's wonderful, though, the way you describe the yearning) but rather my yearning is for a design that satisfies some internal sense I have of Beautiful Form and Functional Beauty. And since that sense shifts with the seasons, or with sea changes in myself, my idea of what is beautiful shifts also. I understand the restlessness you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it's not just me!

      I love tumblr because it allows me to have the format I truly want, because it doesn't really matter so much - I seldom post there. If I could get that format here, and if readers could tolerate it, I would. At least I get it there.

      https://www.knitting-the-wind.tumblr.com

      I often think that, if only I had the expertise, I would love to be a website designer. It's so much fun.

      Delete
  7. Sarah, I had to come back here and tell you that I had almost the exact same post written. Thought for thought...you, though, said it much better and I deleted mine. Tonight I see this newest template from you and I love it! I want to change my to look just like this one! :) Like you, I have struggled in finding a look to match who I really am and the feeling I want to convey. It looks lovely here. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you deleted your post, but thank you so much for the kind word about my template. I am OVER THE MOON about how it looks. Sorry for the capital letters, but I have wanted this look for YEARS and been unable to figure out how to do it. In the end it proved amazingly easy.

      Wide, one-column layout.
      Photos extra large and aligned left.
      That's it.

      Years, I tell you.

      I have no idea how it looks on mobiles, probably awful but I don't care! :-)

      Delete
  8. i would redo mine more often but blogger has it so screwy that it's useless. seriously. images that say they are centered are not, etc., etc., etc. nothing aligns correctly in the sidebar. i'm afraid to touch anything but colors and fonts. :)

    i love this.

    ReplyDelete