how to tell a story


I spend a lot of my time these days in the summer meadows and gently enchanted woods of Linden Cove. I find peace there ... (except Wednesdays, which are always my panicky, "I'll never get this chapter finished" days) .... the kind of peace which arises from setting words down on an empty page. Even though I know what is to come.

But sometimes I find myself sitting on the dusty stairs of an old, shadowed house which was only ever half-written; and other times wandering wooded lanes with a storyteller who never made it to the page; and a moment or two, most often at night, with a holy fool whose sorrowing tale wishes, and yet cringes from, being told.

Maybe one day, I half-promise these stories. They don't really believe me. But if there's one thing I've learnt this past year, it's that the difference between an untold story and a told one is simply whether I write it.

No other difference. No particulars of plot or magic or season. And no special inspiration in my soul. It's like flowers growing if I plant then water them. And having sourdough if I actually make the starter and feed it.

So much can be achieved simply by doing it.



If you're interested in reading Deep in the Far Away, it's never too late to join the mailing list. Or you may wonder what is my favourite story I have written - it can be found in Driftways. Any of my books are available as a thank you gift for donations to my daughter's sports fund.

10 comments:

  1. doing it....it really is as simple as that. I would love to hear some of your untold stories. I know that I will love all those quiet characters.

    and I can't believe there would be one person who reads this blog and who hasn't joined in yet to read Deep in the Far Away. Reading it is my favorite part of Sundays. I love to close my eyes and let myself dream away to Linden Cove. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so very kind of you, thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heartily agree with Sarah - reading your beautiful story is my favourite part of Sundays also : ) Such a lovely ritual. Linden Cove has captured my heart and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joining the list now.. how could I have missed this magic?

    And here, here on 'doing stuff'. One of the best things I've ever done was put my creative desires into measurable goals, and then implement. It's not very glamorous or sexy, but it's an essential part of the balance, for me. I'm rereading "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine Aron and she discusses at length how important it is for right-brained creative intuitives to "exercise" their right brained muscles. We tend to get caught up in dreaming that the doing gets neglected. Well, it's true for me, anyway. :D

    That said, I need to go get ready for my Artist's Date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Not joining the list now as have forgotten PayPal password and now it's asking me to verify things I don't know! Will have to wait for husband this weekend (speaking of imbalance in practical things, I should remember this!)

      Delete
  5. so true
    and i have enjoyed reading/hearing your thoughts as you experience and create your new book
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the ritual and the story :-) I found myself driving the kids home from music lessons late on Friday afternoon and looking at the weekend stretching before me and relishing the fact that there was time to finish some crafts for the school fair, cook one more batch of marmalade from the last of the sevilles on the tree, and a chance to settle down to savour the next instalment from Linden Cove. I had to smile at how quickly my subconscious has subsumed this joy and is already marking it in hebdomadally as a 'not to be missed', knowing when it is coming even if I lose track of the days.

    ReplyDelete