three lessons learned from a man and his camera

There are some people you know from the start will be special. It has always been this way with my brother. Of course, I may be biased because I am his big sister, but really he has an effortless way of making everyone adore him - specifically, he walks into a room and that's it. He has taught me by example that, if you want to be happy, be happy.

A while ago, he was given an excellent camera, and he has made the most of it. He joins with the team at Classroom for Hope so his pictures make a valuable difference in the lives of people throughout Africa and Asia. Recently, he went to Rwanda. As I read the story of his experience there, and looked at the pictures, I saw him in the eyes of the people he photographed. I saw his easy smile which enabled them to smile back and to trust him with photographing them for the first time in their lives. I witnessed his calm, welcoming manner which allowed them to enjoy the experience of seeing themselves on a camera screen. It proves this : the world is what you bring to it.




If people were considered landscapes, I would be a stony, windswept heath always longing for rain. You wouldn't really want to go there for long, unless you were a half-wild girl or a storm. As I walk around with my wretched little sea-salt-scratched camera, I'm always looking for low contrast, lonely images that seem haunted by wind or untold story. But my brother is hospitable. Through his pictures shines the hope and trust and goodness and especially the dignity of people. We see what we look for, and so that grows like flowers or wild grass in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. this post is proof that artistic talent is genetic. the photo is perfection. they all are!

    ReplyDelete