- what I wanted to say today -

Today I am reminded that there really are no different countries; we are all one people within one world.




When I was a young woman I would walk around Sydney, tracking dreams, finding stories in its stones and shadows. That was a long time ago, and the city may be different now (I myself am much the same), but I remember its inherent gentleness - which is an odd thing to say about a city, but it had such a sense of deep peace that I suppose had seeped up from the old, old ground.

Anyway, that's how it spoke to me. It held my lonely feet in a calm and wordless security. I'm sure native Australians would say differently.

Which is my point, actually. The earth, the airs, they have individual conversations with each of us. One man's thunder is another's song. And one man's freedom is another's pain. But many of us want the rest of the world's population to see things our way, speak with our song, follow our path (although without getting in our way). If only we would listen to each other and try to find not so much a common ground but an appreciation that all of us belong to the same ground in different ways, then we could achieve a true compassionate peace.

I don't have much hope for some things ... the amelioration of climate change, the saving of so many endangered animals ... but I do have hope for peace. In a world where children donate their pocket money so other children can eat, and policemen bring food to a confused elderly person, and women weave forgiveness and community back into a nation shredded by ethnic cleansing, I can not help but feel a heartful of beautiful, warm hope that we are absolutely capable of peace.

May it come today to you where ever you are in the world. It happens like this : take a risk, take down the seige walls for a moment, and listen out. Someone you dislike is singing a song from their soul.

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post Sarah. And I find it endlessly fascinating how we each experience the land and different places/energies. I feel a stability here (Australia) of the earth, the ancientness. But I don't necessarily feel welcome or held and nurtured as I do by other lands. I love your experience of Sydney actually.

    "...all of us belong to the same ground in different ways, then we could achieve a true compassionate peace".
    Yes. Beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this touched me in this moment:
    If only we would listen to each other and try to find not so much a common ground but an appreciation that all of us belong to the same ground in different ways, then we could achieve a true compassionate peace.

    thank you

    ReplyDelete