the wisdom of women

A small post tonight, as I'm deep in my gathering time now (about which I may write tomorrow.) But I want to share with you a thought I just drew from the book I am reading, Grandmothers of the Light by Paula Gunn Allen ...

Have you ever considered that the small bird in the tree outside your house is a woman, just like you. Oh, the word is difficult, I know. But have you really thought of how she is female ... how the sheep is ... have you considered the mothering heart of the cow?

Women with their own special womanly work.

Women who perhaps have feminine wisdom they might share with you, if you might listen. For they may be smaller than us, utterly powerless against us - and yet, they are women, mothers, home-builders, protectors, teachers of the young, storytellers, lovers - and what wonderful friends they might be to us.

5 comments:

  1. Such a lovely thought. Thank you, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! One day when I was especially frightened and feeling low, I looked out the window and saw a little bird in the pine, and instantly thought ~ the bird's have everything they need; and so do we.
    Lovely thought to share with all of us today ~ thank you.
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz in Missouri USAJanuary 20, 2015 at 4:57 AM

    I love the idea of what kind of friends they might be. Still playing with that thought ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for your lovely comments xx

    ReplyDelete