the moon that sings of winter

On my way to bed, a candle in my hand and all the lovely quiet of the night around me, I paused to look at the moon. Today is astronomical Lammas, and the moon is full (although last night it still had a glimpse of shadow), and I've been keeping my eye and my heart on it. No need for any more than that - just being in the world, with the world, noticing.




Slowly the days have begun to grow shorter. A minute or two shorter for now, that is all. It's like the little shadow at the edge of the moon. Slowly it grows. But keeping even half an eye or heart on it helps with being patient. I don't have to wait for winter - I can see in the moon, the stars, the trees, my own self, winter is unfolding, even here in the middle of summer.

Hope doesn't always look like light. I am a cardigan girl, a wind-in-my-hair girl; I take my hope from damp grass in the morning, and the fall of sunburned leaves, and the softening of the moon, the reddening of the moon, as it rises always peaceful over the sea.


today's photo is processed with a kim klassen texture.

13 comments:

  1. I love reading about what's happening in your part of the world, the contrast to what's happening where I am. It sounds like we're both soon to enter seasons that we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is such a contrast, it's strange to think of really.

      Delete
  2. I can whisper a little winter to you, in exchange for a slice of summer... I love that whatever the season, we see the same moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is wonderful to think of how the moon is the same for us all. :)

      Delete
  3. Blessed Lammas to you, sarah. We, too, were just noticing how the days here are beginning to lengthen more noticeably, inching along, day by day. And while the warmth will not be returning for months yet, the promise is there, felt deep within my bones and singing quietly in my soul. I am a girl of liminal spaces, in between extremes, on the edges of feelings, places, and time. Heading to warmth like myself, or to cold like yourself, this, this is my element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, the liminal time is for me too. I love the changing.

      Delete
  4. you have touched my heart with your words
    with your relationship
    to the moon and stars

    and i find your post
    just as i am stepping out into the dark snow covered earth every five minutes to check on the moon rising over our mountains
    soon it will lighten our night to nearly daylight as it's light kisses our snow covered earth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just thinking how much I'm enjoying just a touch more daylight each day. You write so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As your days are growing shorter, mine are growing longer. I just had the second dumping of snow on me within a week. The moon was beautiful; I could see it from my bedroom window. I love the sketch at the top of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of my readers are American. I envy your snow. Thank you regarding my blog header, my daughter drew it.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Sarah, your words always paint such a beautiful picture. It's hard to imagine your days getting shorter when we are experiencing just the opposite, with snow coming every few days.

    ReplyDelete