domestic notes

On our afternoon walk today, we talked about how some of the trees would soon be blossoming. Coming back towards home, I noticed small buds low on a tree we had passed before, and paused to look more closely. "It's wonderful what you see when you glance around," I said - and then happened to lift my gaze.

The tree was lush with blossom over our heads.

Pumpkin Oat Pancakes.

For six pancakes, also known as pikelets or hotcakes: half a cup of rolled wholegrain oats, one egg, quarter of a teaspoon baking powder, half a cup of roasted and pureed pumpkin, half a teaspoon vanilla essence, teaspoon of cinnamon, sugar to taste, almond milk.

Blend the oats into a flour. Mix dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, egg, sugar, and vanilla. Add these to the dry ingredients and stir in with some almond milk until it forms a batter. Leave to sit for ten minutes. Heat a frypan to a very low temperature with oil or butter. Add more almond milk to your batter until you are happy with the consistency. Spoon mixture into frypan and spread it until the cake is the size you want, and cook until golden on each side. You can add yoghurt or honey and fruit to the dish.




I swept wild sand off my pathway yesterday. I don't love the sea, but I do love the things it casts through my neighbourhood : sand and sighs and fragrant dreams. They are like quotes drawn out of beautiful old books ... you pierce my soul ... books you don't necessarily like to read in their entirety, or at least not too often, but a few phrases from them make you catch your breath with wonder and love.




I brought home some of the unexpected blossom as well as a few other verge flowers. A butterfly flew around me; only a monarch - the little white butterflies, the brown ones, the tiny blue ones we used to watch only ten years ago, are never to be seen these days. Every time I come across a monarch, I think of them, and of the beautiful gardens of my childhood, when people had time to care for flowers.


See you tomorrow with some links.



sharing with a delightsome life

11 comments:

  1. We are coming into Autumn over here and your pumpkin recipe sounds wonderful. Autumn is all things pumpkin in my neck of the woods. Here, we have no more monarchs. But, we do have plenty of little white butterfly/moths darting and flitting through the wild flowers that grow along the edge of the wooded pathways. I live near the sea as well...it is almost all we see out our windows. I love everything about it though. We do seem to have a revolving relationship with the sand though....I sweep it out and it ends up right back in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of sweeping sand out of my house. But my relationship with the sea is complicated by several things (which some of my readers will understand) and also I like complex, rich, deep views, and to me the ocean is quite plain. I'm just a hill girl, is all :-)

      Delete
  2. people still care about gardens, sarah. they do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in many places, yes they do :-) Unfortunately, not where I live!

      Delete
  3. i think i know what you mean...i'm wistful too for the times before now, when people spent time in their homes and hearth-tending was more valued. even as recently as my childhood, there were people in the houses during the days, and more so in the evenings and at weekends. so many houses now are empty all day, and when their occupants get home, they often go right back out for dinner---or eat in the car---and then rush to various structured activities. they return in the dark and grab a shower, perhaps watch tv a bit, and then they are asleep. i've a few friends who garden too, but most of the gardeners i know are older folks; and the houses with nice flowerbeds are mostly tended by landscaping companies.

    i remember when the verges and ditches were full of wild blossom all summer long, and there was a shimmer of movement over them---butterflies, damselflies, dragonflies. there have been less since the advent of mowing and spraying. i remember when houses were full of life, and children played and were cared for by their elders, and elders were cared for by their children...we have largely outsourced "care" now, and we are all the poorer for it, i often think. it is sad to think how seldom our hands are holding other hands, how seldom they are digging in the dirt.

    it's still my hope that there are many of us who care about such things, enough to hold the patterns and give them to the children, and help nudge us all back to a more sustainable and tranquil life.

    the pumpkin pancakes sound delicious. thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much I would like to write in reply to this wonderful comment, but I only have a moment. I'll just say you stirred my heart and made me feel deeply nostalgic in a very nice way.

      Delete
  4. These pictures are beautiful. I especially love the one with the necklace and the curl of hair. Your words are also beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always so much appreciate it when people say they like my pictures. It is very kind of you.

      Delete
  5. such lovely images
    beautiful strand of red hair

    ReplyDelete