from a summer-washed cottage

This has been a long day spent mostly outdoors, and I find myself swaying slightly as I sit before my computer now. I don't know if that's from sheer tiredness or if I'm still feeling the rhythm of bike, walk, water, worrying slow lift, stairs instead. When I breathe deeply, I can still smell overheated ashphalt, pohutukawa, sunscreen. This is summer, and I'm surprisingly glad that I braved it today.




I am glad though to be home now, drinking cold lemonade and dreaming of a new quiet novel, as tiny breezes venture over my doorstep and almost - almost - cool the air. I'm actually home in more ways than one. After some explorations today, I understand more fully where I belong. Turns out that a woman can believe something fervently, but it's only when she experiences that thing - and sees how other people live it - that she really knows if it's right for her. And when it isn't right, she gains a deeper understanding of conversely what is.




 Here are some things you may enjoy reading ...

Dancing the Cailleach.
Connecting with nature through wildlife, place, and memory.
Ephemeral rivers.
The society of trees.
Medicine dolls.


Tonight I will be reading folk tales from Derry and the Isle of Man ... after I take from between the pages several tiny, spiral-marked shells which I gathered from the shore because really, they are such exquisite art cast out of the sea. (I finished The Silmarillion last night and came away from it feeling sad. I'd forgotten how grim it was. Certainly a book to admire, but not to cherish.) And when the day has gone to dark, I will watch summer-coloured stars emerge over the ocean, and I will thank them, saying prayers in retrospect, because on the day I realised where I most belong, I looked up to see that I'm already here.


8 comments:

  1. So lovely. And that quiet novel makes me excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so beautiful, Sarah. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you found your way home. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and thoughts Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to realize that you are where you are meant to be. That's a remarkable realization.
    Beautiful post as always, Sarah. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Turns out that a woman can believe something fervently, but it's only when she experiences that thing - and sees how other people live it - that she really knows if it's right for her. And when it isn't right, she gains a deeper understanding of conversely what is". I feel this to be so very true.

    I loved the society of trees, and those medicine dolls are created very close to where I live : ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so lovely
    i felt my breath change

    ReplyDelete