giving from the true heart

It's always a little difficult for me, after a post becomes popular, to know what to write next. I have a while of trying to compose something significant - even though my popular posts are usually the ones I write with eyes half-closed and heart shyly open, intent on nothing more than mere honesty.

Then again, it's always the way, isn't it? When you act or speak from your true heart, you touch people more surely than when you are trying to be right or good.




I think we are ourselves for a reason. The soul in which we live, the song which we alone sing - I think this is just exactly what the world needs from each of us. Of course, self-improvement is good, but I'm not talking here about character. I mean instead our temperament, our deep energy, our inherent way of being in the world. I may be helpful to a friend if I'm strong and sensible, but if I'm gentle, and talk about strange dreaming kinds of things, or tell soul stories, then it seems to help most of all. Maybe that's because I'm not naturally good at being sensible. Or maybe because strangeness and stories come sincerely from my love, my heart, and sincerity is always to be preferred.




I'm writing this tonight because I want to remind myself. I don't always act authentically. Often, I'll give, write, try to help with, what I think is wanted, and not what I instinctively want to offer from my heart. I'm not always very brave. And it does take courage to offer other people what is truest and most important to yourself, especially when they really need something helpful. What if it doesn't help? What if it isn't wanted or liked?

I don't know the answer to that except, have courage. Everyone is beautiful and worthwhile in their own way. And if you are my friend, I want you, not what you think you ought to be.


Art by the wonderfully talented Terri Windling.


6 comments:

  1. I love this, and so agree:
    The soul in which we live, the song which we alone sing - I think this is just exactly what the world needs from each of us.

    I love Terri's art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are onto something. Our greatest gift is our truth. The story that lives within our soul is what others intuitively connect with and learn from. Sometimes I write with an audience in mind, sometimes just a friend, but occasionally words just spill from some ancient, deep place and I find those to be the most precious ones of all. Thank you for this thoughtful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to sort out the difference between a post written from the heart and what you think is required of you if often a struggle - being true to yourself is really what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The soul in which we live, the song which we alone sing - I think this is just exactly what the world needs from each of us." YES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to add something to do but I think it's unnecessary. you've already said what I wanted to say and saying I agreed with you is enough, I think.

    I want to say 'have a lovely tomorrow' as I'm always a day behind you but I'll stick with the usual - have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living life from the heart is always the best path to follow...

    ReplyDelete