the song of the soul

I've been playing on pinterest (and apologise to anyone whose feed I've swamped) and I was thinking about how I can create all kinds of different boards, and like them in their own way, for their story value if nothing else, but always a certain one will tug at me, whether I want it to or not.

In the same manner, I'll strive for weeks and months to be a particular way, but then an old earth-hymn, a picture or word, will yank me back into their energy.

That thought led to a theory ...




We tend to view things in an anthropocentric manner : supposing that we decide our soul's song and choose what we like about the world - what weather we like, what time of the day, what mood and manner, and what expression of the divine.

But I wonder if a woman doesn't choose a particular manner of selfhood as if she's putting on storms or sunswept beaches like a dress. Maybe it's the other way around.




Maybe different elements of the world choose us. I've certainly seen how both the Catholic expression of godhood, and the pagan one, have called people despite their upbringing and their expectations of what they would believe. And I wonder ... maybe an old breeze, rummaging amongst forest and through the open windows of a house, chooses one child who lives there, and she grows up to be dust-hearted, half-haunted, and wayward, whereas another child of the house is chosen by city streets when she visits them, or by the sea when she holidays there.




Maybe the world is singing out to us, falling in love with us, and and our souls can't help but respond.


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea - it makes so much sense.... thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful thoughts for a biocentric world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely summer pictures. I was raised in cities and suburbs but feel no affinity for them - my heart lies in the country even though I rarely saw it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully put and yes, I agree. I often visit different landscapes full of excitement about exploring a new place and yet feel nothing. Then I visit again and it is as though the place has chosen to 'wear me'. I find the realisation that we are not the centre of everything, and often don't get to choose, most liberating...and exciting.

    I find Pinterest really helpful for having thoughts like this...something about connecting visually, rather than through the words that might be my more natural choice. When I need to dive I often go there. I am off to look at your pins! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea, never thought about it quite this way, but I feel what you say to be very true! And yes indeed, if we are all made up of the same stuff-- stars and people and meadows and even cities and bobcats and birds--and if we humans are really the youngest and least wise of the whole lot of creation, then it makes perfect sense that winds and light and birds and dreams choose US, not the other way around! Thank you for this Sarah, just lovely. x Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feeling a strong connection starting here of like-minded explorers, Sylvia Linsteadt and Jacqueline Woodward-Smith, maybe the beginnings of a tribe...?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth WaggonerJanuary 25, 2016 at 9:20 AM

    As a believer in place, I Totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely to consider:

    Maybe the world is singing out to us, falling in love with us, and and our souls can't help but respond.

    such lovely and inviting images

    ReplyDelete