dreaming the world

I have been unwell for the past couple of days. Such times tend to be wordless for me, so I have been wandering wild and gentle woodlands in my imagination. Every step I take through them changes them, as I envision roses or rivers or the drift of white blossom through peaceful treeshadow. I become a world-maker, and it's interesting to see my choices as I go along. Deciding the kind of world I want to dream about (and perhaps ultimately write about) tells me a lot about myself.




I could say that it's the same in the real world ... my choices shape my environment ... but I don't really think that's true. In imagining, I don't have to come up with money to build a path through the woods. For that matter, I can have the woods themselves, whereas they don't exist in the same way where I live. And I don't have neighbours cutting down the trees, building apartment blocks; I don't have traffic and noise pollution. I can plant flowers ... but not roses, because my landlady has forbidden them, and not wildly, amongst the roots of oaks, bee-heavy and medicinal.




There is so much we can do to help our world become a better, cleaner, healthier place. But there is also so much we can't do. For example, I carefully separated all my paper and card rubbish for recycling - and watched it thrown in with the general rubbish on collection day. Lately I find myself holding hope and determination in one hand, grief in the other, and trying to keep them balanced. But of course even that is ultimately beyond my control. Governments and corporations will tip the balance for me. Perhaps they already have - perhaps it was done centuries ago, when the forests of England were slaughtered, and the great old birds of New Zealand were massacred, and people learned how to drag the singing seas for food, leaving us little now beyond grief.

And so I wander enchanting woods in my imagination, and think in melancholy quiet of what the world might be, and never will be, except in the hearts of the hopeful who are dreaming.


Art : Kinuko Y Craft

8 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling a little better now Sarah. Perhaps your body needed some downtime in which to dream and recover. I sometimes despair of the human race and what we do to our environment - each of us can only do our little bit in the hope that some good will come of it in the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my heart too hangs heavily much of the time when I contemplate what great harm we have done, and how small any individual actions seem. I feel powerless to turn the tide...but then I have to remind myself how I really believe that small things done by "small" people are not so small after all, and certainly not in the aggregate? Perhaps we are just doing what Tolkien described as "fighting the long defeat"...it feels that way! But I have to believe we can go home again, if only enough of us want to, fiercely and with a clear vision that will not be denied...

    Hoping you are feeling well again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well soon, and keep dreaming wonderful thoughts still. Warm greetings*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although dreaming in quiet is a lovely passtime, I do hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon. Wishing you deep healing. I too hurt for the world, and it hurts to go there in my thoughts, to think about what we're doing to the planet, to ourselves. And then i dream of beautiful places, pure and unspoiled. Thank you sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you get well wishes, Sarah. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also hope you are feeling better.
    I can only hope that honoring our deep truths, instincts and intuition will help our world find balance. It does seem a bit hopeless at times. Watching and tuning into nature helps, as they are in their own balance.

    ReplyDelete