the pilgrim writer

I have been wading through strange worlds, waiting to meet with a new story. It has left a trail for me to follow ... a smile through fragile light, a waterlogged dream, something old and leaf-stained in the shadow ... but I've yet to take its hand and feel it go still and gentle in my silence. And so I wander.




But there is a habit to this journey that I remember from before. First, the random going about picking up everything in sight. Then the winnowing. Then the calm recognition in something - a favourite song, perhaps, or faded curtains shifting back from afternoon - of a familiar threshold into dreaming. At this stage, I stop gathering and go back to what I already have - not ideas, or scenes from future stories, but the sound of story's voice in my own old words.

It seems you often must go walkabout to find the place where you've stood all along.




Some things are inescapable. Bones, home stones, the things they sang us while we slept in our cradles. We can love more, and different, but those things make a threshold for our soul. We have to cross over them to get somewhere else. I've crossed my threshold many times, many stories. But my favourite pieces of writing are where I've not moved at all, simply and quietly stood at the old scarred limn-line, noting what lies under my feet, in my heart, and what in the world opens to me on the other side.



We think of moving, going, travelling, as linear things - forward progressions. But some of the richest journeys we make require no step at all. My pilgrimage towards story has taken a bend in the road and turned deep, down, inward, before. Now the real travel begins.

8 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe your creative process--it is heavy with the story of your own gentle-wild, wind-knitting soul. These photos call deeply.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely to have a peak into your journey
    to our
    next story
    from you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...a journey so beautifully described.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Your words are always so very dreamy and calming. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words about the deep inner process of story-following. It is such a subtle, intuitive thing; one step, surrendering, and you are there. Other times, a longer path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words about the deep inner process of story-following. It is such a subtle, intuitive thing; one step, surrendering, and you are there. Other times, a longer path.

    ReplyDelete