listing the loveliness

I find myself rather unwell today, so decided to take note of the various small charms of the day, in an effort to counter the malaise ....


1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4


The soft, sea-stained wind tumbling around my house, so that the rosemary bush taps gently against the living room window.

A letter arriving in the mailbox - a wonderfully small-sized white envelope, well-stuffed. It wasn't for me, but I had just as much pleasure setting it out for its recipient to find as I would have if it had been mine to open.

Being asked to do a favour for someone. Don't you think it's nice when someone believes you can be relied upon?

Cups of sweet English tea, an enjoyable book, and the opportunity to spend the afternoon shawl-wrapped and restful, enjoying them.

A basket full of antique books.


1 .. 2 .. 3 .. 4


Harvest fruits ... and the ruby richness of plum and fig jam made for supper.

Finding a favourite book which I'd long thought lost.

A small jug of flowers from my garden.

A discussion with a kindred spirit about old poetry and imagery.

Looking up to see the moon quietly regarding me.


To be honest, noting the loveliness was like making small pinpricks of light through a cloud. But in months to come, if I read this post again, I will probably not remember anything about the day or being unwell - all I will know is this list of keepsakes. And they are as much the truth as the cloud, and far more worthy of being the reputation of today.

I don't like the idea of gratitude journals, but I do like the idea of choosing to remember blessings rather than trials.  


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Sarah. I so enjoyed reading these. Small beauties indeed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "they are as much the truth as the cloud"...

    indeed they are. and you are right to remind us of it...

    blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better soon. Such a lovely list. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely , soothing images. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of one of my favorite verses: "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." (Philippians 4:8)

    The sweet, restorative power of "listing the loveliness" is very often underestimated in our modern culture. Thank you for the beautiful example and reminder.

    Oh, and this is one of the best sentences I have read in quite some time: "And they are as much the truth as the cloud, and far more worthy of being the reputation of today."

    Wishing you gentle healing and good health in the days ahead.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello Sarah,

    May you awaken tomorrow feeling refreshed and ready for a new day.
    Your photos are so very lovely to behold and glimpses through words lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you will be feeling better soon . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful and soothing! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete