the god of dirt and storms



The god of dirt
came to me many times and said
so many wise and delectable things, I lay
on the grass listening
to his dog voice,
crow voice,
frog voice; now,
he said, and now,
and never once mentioned forever…

Mary Oliver



image credit: david joaquin


I know god best in the wind. Sometimes he whispers in a gentle afternoon breeze that makes the skin and secret heart shiver. Other times he strides through the world with all his majesty, and the trees, the sea, me, bend to him. I know that every breath and touch from him is love. He tells me, forever.

(For me it's the goddess who is dirt, and croak-worded, smoke-worded. She is love made into form. She lies beneath our feet, and she is our feet. She sits cross-legged at the centre of the universe, and we are in her eye.)

Nevertheless, I adore Mary Oliver's words, just as I do the old songs that rise to the rafters of a Catholic Church, and the evening prayers of birds congregated before the setting sun. To me, they are all just different ways to talking with, and about, the Divine. Sometimes it's lovely to join in worship with those who belong to a different religion than you - perhaps because they sing the way you do, or they have the sort of art you appreciate, or their rituals resonate with your temperament even if their actual creeds are different from what you hold to. I love the way Mary reminds me that god is deep in the now - the heart of her belief is true to me, even if the actual story isn't the same I'd use.



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. This resonates with me this evening. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so love that poem, and I've never actually read much of Mary Oliver, but I want to! And I too like the different religions, the different ways of talking to God, which are all beautiful to me. I think we have certain ways that resonate more with us than others, but even though I love nature most of all, I also love a beautiful church or temple. Thanks for writing this. For some reason it makes me a little teary eyed, because so few people write about God in an open way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful
    thank you
    lovely art too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Oliver - ahhh. Love. How I've missed reading you. I've been away too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so beautiful, Sarah.
    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments, they really do mean alot to me.

    ReplyDelete