small and quiet things for a vivacious world

I was able to borrow a friend's computer for today, and so I'm here for a little while to leave some things on the doorstep. It's interesting how, when your voice is slivered away, you come to understand quite quickly what you want best to say. For me, it's violets, and pale afternoon wind, and home baking, and reading by candlelight - beautiful small things, gentlenesses for the world. I can't inspire the way mega-bloggers do, with their wit or religious verve or hand-knit clothes. I wish I could. But even if I did, I'd probably just want to write about violets, and candlelit books, and so my popularity wouldn't last long.




I have spent years watching blogland evolve, and thinking about what makes some writers more successful than others. I have decided that popularity is its own draw. (Good photographs also help.) One can twitter and canoodle all one wants, but actually if you look at the most profitable bloggers, they don't have much of a social media presence beyond their blog. What they do have is something other people want. A lifestyle, a way of being, an enchantment about them that captures other hearts.

Which leaves me to wonder what I should best do myself. Are e-newsletters still a thing? Is there a way to make pinterest into a kind of blog? How can an introvert use what's available online to connect while still remaining true to her quiet heart?

Today my world is tremulous, sea-washed, shy, in the promise of rain. I am wearing my favourite cardigan and looking out past brick walls and overgrown rosemary to the faraway white that eases finally into the ocean. It's a sad, sighing kind of day. I won't tell you about the lawn mowing guy who will be here for hours with his appalling noise. I will just give you a faint dream come out of my watery horizon of a woman made from tide and broken shell, wandering village streets in search of a way back home to the bottom of the sea ... and the sombre, lame, lonely young man who drags himself away from poetry to open his door to her ...


15 comments:

  1. it pleases me that the weather is such, that you are wearing your favorite cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burden of photos became a real impediment to my blogging, after a while. I miss the old days when blogs were mostly words. I much prefer to live in the moments as they happen and then reflect on them later in prose...somehow taking photos interrupts the experience for me—or at least, attempting to take artful, well lit photos. :) I find plenty of things to snap pix of in the course of my day but in a more casual way, often capturing the mess *after* the moment I want to remember. I enjoy and admire the gorgeous photos on other people's blogs but would blog more happily myself without them.

    Newsletters do seem to be making a comeback! I neglect mine sadly for months at a time, which is silly because I have quite a lot of subscribers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely take daily snaps any more, my photos are always for photography's sake. Like you, I prefer to remember things with diary notes. I do feel aware that my photos aren't as attractive and shiny as other people's and that's one of the reasons why I've been posting art more often.

      I am giving a lot of thought to a newsletter or regular email notes. I miss yours :-)

      Delete
  3. You have a lovely way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea, but I did join instagram a few months back, because my daughter urged me too. She instagrams as well. You take such good photos that it might be an interesting outlet. However, I look at it separate from the blog, because it brings no traffic, just mostly lovely people who like to look at photos. I only post one a day. I watermark them, but they can't be pinned or taken off like other photos to my knowledge. Though my daughter says sometimes people regram them without permission that's why it it needs a watermark. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't instagram as my old cheap phone isn't connected to the internet. Which is a shame because I think I'd enjoy it. And yes, people can pin instagram photos with ease, so having a watermark is a very good idea.

      Delete
    2. Well, having trouble here with different issue. I like Lin's idea, but I don't know if that works for you. I sometimes message them to another phone, and then post from that one, which allows me take a photo out of my computer library that I made for instagram and marked. But I know your computer is giving you trouble too :(

      Delete
  5. Your writings are beautiful, with depth and understanding. I always look forward to reading your posts. They speak to me, as they do to others.
    Change isn't needed, but that's just my little opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have dipped my toe into Instagram, and have found some lovely people there. I upload photos from my camera onto an Android tablet & post from there, as I don't own a smart phone.

    I'm undecided if I will continue blogging. I've been thinking about the same kinds of things you mentioned in this post... "How can an introvert use what's available online to connect while still remaining true to her quiet heart?" And I ask why I try sharing what I love when so few seem interested in the same kinds of things.

    You have so much beauty to share, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Until now I have only been 'nodding quietly', an introvert, you know. Being a relatively new visitor from The Netherlands, your voice somehow reaches out over oceans to touch my soul.
    Your ebooks are on my ereader. Your blogposts make me aware how important it is to keep working at my craft of writing poetry and find my own voice. Your e-newsletter would find a warm, welcoming home in my mailbox too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very new to blogging, but I know a lot of people are choosing Instagram and even Facebook - but maybe those are the camera people. I think the word people are still here - still sharing.
    I think we need your blog. I think it's one of the best going because personally, though there are many blogs that I love, I find such comfort in your beautiful, poetic, thought-filled words. The quiet and the gentleness that you put out into the universe is a resting place that we all need. I would be so sad to look one day and find that you've gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wouldn't think that "bigness" is a mark of "doing it right" necessarily...the glossy, garish blogs don't speak to me the way yours does, or other smaller audience blogs that i follow with huge enjoyment. an afternoon at a friend's hearth-side has a far different feel than an evening in a rave club, and i know which environment suits me better...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Violets are what I love best.♥

    ReplyDelete