for those forest-deep in the dark

Dear woman, I know it is frightening to be here in the dark forest, this shadow-space of your life. I know you feel lost and worn out. But I will tell you two things, if I might.

You are not lost.

And do not build a house here.




The ground beneath you is an old and root-woven path laid down for you years ago. It is consequences and hard promises. You don't have the map for it - but it has the map for you. Just keep believing there is a way out, waiting for you. And look - the path is strewn with wild gems, poetic leaves, memories and dreams for you. Gather them up, for they will you a stronger weight and they will nourish you. And let drop what you no longer need for yourself. Old ideas gone stale, habits for breaking, unhelpful fears. They will rot away and enrich the dirt, and grow tiny lovely flowers that someone else coming behind you may gather as their own gift from the forest.




And look again - there is someone with a lantern, or an owl with moonlit eyes that shine like lantern light, or footsteps gone safely this way before. They will help you through the brambles. Don't be shy to accept assistance. It's not just for the sake of helping you. It's also teaching you how to help other people.




Dear woman, you will survive the forest. Just don't build a house here. Make the journey through. Yes, a thousand times yes, there is a through. There is an out. And once you're there, you will go on in the peace of light, with the strength of experience. Perhaps you will carry the forest on your back.  Perhaps you will return to travel it again some time, or help someone else get through it. Most certainly you will be stronger, wiser, richer, for your journey in the murmuring dark.

This forest, it's not a blessing. It's not a curse either. Life simply has its forests along with its wildflower meadows. But always there is treasure to be found in the dirt, the root-tangle, the old, stained path. And always you are able to leave treasure from yourself, for the world, too.


23 comments:

  1. A beautiful and brave metaphor of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words touched my heart.
    I get lost, far too often. You helped me find my way out. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually gasped as I read this. Your healing words are so beautifully woven, and impeccably timed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your words - to me- are connected to the first line of Dante's Divina Commedia which has played an important role in my life more than once. As it does again lately. Your words are consolation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew, did I need this today, right now, this month. Tears in eyes. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness Sarah - where do you find these words - they leave me breathless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this a really beautiful, and poignant, post. Thank you. I too have tears in my eyes...
    It's good to remember the bittersweet path that we are all travelling along unites us all, to each other, to the unspoken elements of our world, and to everything that has gone before. I'm grateful to find it so eloquently expressed right here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Utterly beautiful Sarah. Thank you for these words today. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone, I'm so pleased that this little story-thing was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i do have to wonder whether i have built a house in the forest...pondering that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou for this timely post, it's as though it was written for me. :)
    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heart-achingly beautiful truth. . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful and needed at this time in my life. Namaste. xo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful and wise

    your offerings like this would make a wonderful deck of oracle cards
    perhaps with your daughters art on one side and words like this rich with life's offerings on the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I actually have a concept for a set of oracle cards or "waymarkers" which I would dearly love to make. Convincing the artist though is the difficult part!

      Delete
    2. or your lovely dreamy photos

      Delete
  15. More thanks ... I am glad (although at the same time sad) that this resonates with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much. This is so beautiful. I read it the other day and didn't have time to comment, but am doing so now because I wanted to let you know how much I need this at the moment. I'm going through a really bad time with anxiety at the moment and often the world seems like a hugely intimidating place that I have a very vulnerable position in, and this post definitely gave me some strength. And it's funny how repetition pops up in life when the universe has a message for you - in my CBT therapy session on Tuesday my therapist said to me "I know you like nature, so look at it this way. Those paths in the woods, grooves made in the ground, are made by people repetitively walking over them, revisiting them. But we're going to take a different path through the forest now, and it will be dark, full of brambles, and you will feel lost. But you will create new paths for yourself, paths that will serve you better."
    The forest is a magical teacher. You are magical :) thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mazrah, I'm so glad you found this helpful. Thank you very much for letting me know, that means alot to me. I hope the forest teaches you well and gently, and that your anxiety eases away. Take lots of loving care of your beautiful self.

      Delete
  17. This is just so beautiful and such a great help to me right now. It sounds as though you maybe going through a tough time too - stay strong and best wishes to you. Thank you for your gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no. Thank you, but just sharing a story is all :-) I'm glad it helps you.

      Delete
    2. That's good, you tell a wonderful story as if you are really feeling it xxx

      Delete