seeking the heart of social media

After years of wishing, I have set up an instagram account. I feel suddenly quite weighted down with the possibilities. Do I want to establish a particular vision, or do I want to be eclectic and rambling with my imagery? And how can I use instagram for storytelling? It's exciting and daunting at the same time.

I am still enjoying composing a weekly e-letter which goes into more depth than this weblog (where I find lately I have to nudge myself in order to post anything), and I continue to like pinterest when I have the time. I'm sure instagram is going to prove fun. However, my use of Facebook is dwindling away, and I seldom open twitter except to post links. Also, I have to say, although everyone insists blogging is not dying, my own personal experience is that it is certainly diminishing. Having yesterday seen blogs on a mobile phone for the first time, I understand why. The power of visual branding - the thought put into a web template, using images mindfully, giving significance to emptiness as well as text - all of this is completely lost on a phone. And the impact of words themselves seems to wither behind that narrow glass screen.

I acknowledge it is probably just that fewer people are interested in what I have to say (although I know many other bloggers have the same observation lately). I've evolved from being a homeschooling writer to focussing more on my interest in nature magic and writing, which has been a major shift - a coming home to my natural voice, as far as I'm concerned, but perhaps seen by others as a new journey, an apprenticeship, although I've been reading, writing, and thinking in this field for decades.

I am continuing to ponder where I want to place the axis of my online activity and how I can support my words the best way possible. I guess that sounds conceited - supposing that my words deserve support, that anyone wants to read them. But I had wild, strange dreams about publishing possibilities long before the internet existed, and I'm still interested in them although I don't have the courage to bring them to life.

You can help to guide my thoughts by answering this little poll if you are interested in doing so.


what is the primary way you read this weblog?

on a computer
on a tablet
on a mobile phone
at a feed reader
Poll Maker

11 comments:

  1. I like Instagram (I know some people do not)and "follow" several accounts. Some of my favorites are: guineverevonsneeden; simplelittleamy; loritimesfive, and dottieangel. If I had a cell phone, I might be tempted to try Instagram myself, but, then again, I doubt it would be the best platform for me.

    I do think that Instagram is a good storytelling vehicle, especially for those who share snapshots of their life (the things they are doing, making, eating, etc.), their homes, families, pets, places and themselves. In their case, a picture really is worth a thousand words. But for those who value privacy, especially visual privacy, the storytelling value of Instagram quickly diminishes (at least it does for me).

    But for the writer--the person whose primary form of expression is words--blogs still rule. And I believe they do for the true reader, as well. The thing is, there just aren't that many true readers and writers out there. The other kinds of people have drifted to newer platforms that are better suited for their lifestyle and need for expression.

    As far as photos are concerned, blogs provide the largest viewing space. I am often frustrated by the small viewing space of Instagram photos, especially when trying to see the details of needlework or artwork.

    Just a few more things to consider. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, since I don't actually have an Instagram account (I don't have a cell phone), I can only view public Instagram accounts on my computer. I'm not really "following" any of the accounts I listed. I just view them a couple of times a week on my computer.

      Sorry for writing such a long comment--which probably was not helpful at all!

      Delete
  2. I like Instagram as it's very few words and lots of lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy Wealth Creator Review

    Easy Wealth Creator Review – Is Easy Wealth Creator System Really Works Or A Scam? My Easy Wealth Creator Software Review Share with The REAL Truth.

    http://autobinarysignalssoftwarereviews.com/easy-wealth-creator-review/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please don't abandon the blog... I don't have a smartphone, or a tablet, just a trusty laptop and a flip-up mobile, so I can't join instagram...
    Also, with the bombardment of images on the web, words and white space are SUCH a sanctuary!
    For all the 'old-fashioned' internet users, please stay right here in this beautiful wee corner you have created :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 I certainly won't be abandoning it, I promise.

      Delete
  5. I do not have a smart phone, they hurt my head.
    I do most things on my computer. Last Sept. I started IG and since do not get as many visits at my blog. People don't need to see the same stuff in 3 places or even two. It has made me wonder about my art blog with so few visitors lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i couldn't do instagram until quite recently. i have a non-smart-phone by choice, so until i acquired rather unexpectedly an ipad, it wasn't possible. now i find that i only check in with IG every few days. i like seeing what people are up to in their lives, but the twee little pictures and twitter-esque smattering of words are like blinking rather than gazing... i don't feel i really navigate it well, and there's such a lot of stuff, but it feels both overkill and evanescent. smoke and mirrors...perhaps i need to approach it as haiku...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Sarah, I adore this post. I have my doubts about blogging and social media in general... I am certainly not finding Instagram as enjoyable or user-friendly as it once was, Facebook I barely use, Twitter is just for fun... Pinterest may just be the only one of the various sites that I genuinely *love* anymore. I worry about the world of blogging disappearing, especially personal blogs, but am hoping that they continue to flourish. I do not intend to stop blogging anytime soon, but I wonder if it will still be possible to make a career out of blogging in the future (though my main source of income will undoubtably be wedding & portrait photography). Either way, I've followed your Instagram account and cannot wait to see what lovely photographs & tales you share. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seem to have gone the opposite direction - I don't do social media at all, plus I do not have a fancy phone to view blogs so I may never read a blog on a tiny screen. I do kind of know what you mean - sometimes you just want to do other things that might be easier, better or perhaps more interesting than blogs. I don't know. I'm just kind of, sort of, stuck to my blog and don't really like to try anything new right now.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete