earthlines, seagifts

The sea is being threshed by the wind-haired winter king. Salt and weed-tangled sorrows are flinging against my windows and door. And another thing - a piece of magic from far in the north, where selkies and poets walk longingly through the storms, along the wild old shores. The latest issue of Earthlines Magazine has been despatched, and it arrived in my letterbox this afternoon. It's one of those magazines whose mere existence in the world gives me hope, and so when Sharon & David asked if I'd write something for it, I can't express to you the joy and amazement I felt.




Both were welcoming and gracious during the editorial process, and hope I managed to appear calmly grown-up despite my heart leaping about like that of a small child who has far too many dreams in her wild mind, several of which involve Irish rains and bog secrets and quiet, smiling enchantments which indeed seemed to whisper through the emails David sent. It was one thing to have the opportunity to contribute to such a magazine, but even more wonderful to be dealing with such lovely, poem-hearted people.




My little piece is about a dragon, and sparrows of course, and the dreaming magic that lies beneath my feet. I feel as if a bit of me, tucked inside my words, went with them across the oceans to the island that I have long loved, and spent a small while there breathing mist, and peat-smoke, and the very same air Maeve hollered into, and Yeats walked through. This is what writing's for - not the being published part, but the journeying, the strange and lovely places your words take you to. And also for the words drawn in response from readers that make you feel as if the world has been unclothed of your own perceptions and you see it naked, beautiful, tender, through the thoughts of another person.

And this is what it meant to me when Earthlines arrived at my door. I had gone somewhere on a footpath of phrases and silences, and now here were my words sent back to me, smelling of fresh ink, feeling Irish cold, feeling stone cold and Old Woman known, and slightly damp with sea-magic tossed onto my threshold.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, Sarah, how lovely!!! Your writing is so beautiful and evocative,I am not at all surprised that you were asked to write a piece for this wonderful journal. But, my, how thrilling! I wish so much that I could read it (dragons!)--I know it is going to captivate everyone who does. Congratulations, dear friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful. Your thoughts are beautiful that your words partake.
    Congratulations, Sarah, on your publication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such lovely news, Sarah! I would so love to read your words, and the rest of the issue - I imagine your writing beautifully at home in Earthlines. Your post is also a delightful reminder to me about the magazine. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on your new published piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh! congratulations! very nice.

    "My little piece is about a dragon, and sparrows of course" . . . i am in love with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading of you and your far away weather is like my childhood summer reads talking back to me. What a wonderful experience for you. Who would not find an offer like that thrilling? Such an otherworld you inhabit. The tale sounds delightful. I love sparrows! So nice of you to let me know you like my new rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading of you and your far away weather is like my childhood summer reads talking back to me. What a wonderful experience for you. Who would not find an offer like that thrilling? Such an otherworld you inhabit. The tale sounds delightful. I love sparrows! So nice of you to let me know you like my new rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful! Congratulations. I haven't gotten a copy in a while, but I'll be sure to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful! Congratulations. I haven't gotten a copy in a while, but I'll be sure to get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I appreciate so much all the lovely notes, thank you :-) I have a cold today and am trying to stay warm and cosy, and you all have warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it was so lovely to read a piece of your work in Earthlines, Sarah. i dipped inside to read your story first :) along with Rose by Sylvia Linsteadt... enchanted by both. i agree also that Earthlines' mere existence in the world brings hope.. and a touch of magic. i love the days it drops through the letterbox onto my mat.. tempted to sit and read it straight away, i put it to one side knowing its there to savour during some nourishing quiet time later..

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohhh! how wonderful!!! sweetest congratulations, dear Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete