the longest night

Counterfeit stars, storms, and the unexpected solace of mountains ... the moonlit winter Solstice opened the beautiful heart of the whole world to me, and the moon herself saw me through it. She sat on high with her bright, multitudinous arms athwart the sky, and there was a profound sense that, at this time, through the moon's stone and light, the Queen was with her world. Her sun may have been so very far away, but she herself remained with us, reminding us of his light, providing us with her own fiercely loving reign. When I looked up at her, I didn't care what anyone called her - Mary or just-moon or the Goddess or Shakti - I only knew she was there for us all.


It's not the light of the moon that holds her magic. It's not her stone or shadows. And really, magic is the wrong word - for almost everything, almost always. It's a small human word. The being of the moon is in the space she holds, and the force she exudes. It's in her soul.



Solstice blessings to you, where ever in the world you are. And not just for the one night, but for all three days of the deep winter birthing or the summer coronation.




(Also, just a small note also to let you know that I will no longer be publishing the e-letter every Friday. I will continue to send it out regularly, but having a set date for it is inconvenient for me at this time, and I'm sure it matters to no one else.)

12 comments:

  1. Warmest Solstice blessings to you, Sarah. Thinking of you and your beautiful worlds that drift over from the edge of the world. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a beautiful solstice here last night. Lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, will miss your bag of seeds and stars each Friday (it sets me up for the weekend...), but I appreciate it can a burden (the days pass SO quickly!). So I will enjoy the randomness of it appearing in my mailbox as-and-when :)
    Sending the brightest, most summery Solstice blessings over the sea to you, Sarah, as your part of the world descends into Winter :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. it's not so much a burden as acknowledging that some words to sprout more slowly (or sooner) than others, and not wanting to force them.

      Delete
    2. Of course, that makes so much sense, Sarah... I wonder if I was projecting my own sense of 'burden' - I've found the daily Small Stones somewhat weighty, especially through times of stress and grief... I know too well that sense of 'wordlessness' when the feelings are just too BIG for expression, even a handful of words :/

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful tribute to solstice, both winter and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. I do love the winter solstice. It makes light feel so very precious, and it has a special quietness to it. Solstice blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit, I love the darkness for its own wild, beautiful sake. But I know most people prefer the daylight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you all for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Solstice blessings to you, dear friend. I will look forward to receiving your newsletter whenever the time seems right.

    ReplyDelete