beautiful news



Today has been a collection of small loveliness strung on the afternoon like flowers on a vine. This is the blessing of the slowly unfurling season. Every day there is a new surprise. Fresh white daisies on grass verges. Magnolia trees beginning to bloom. My garden is all a-song with bees, and I imagine the sweet, rosemary-flavoured honey they must be making somewhere deep in suburbia.




I have been reading Edith Holden's Nature Notes, which I actually prefer to the Country Diary, as research for a project. It got me to thinking, wouldn't it be so nice if we had a newspaper published every day which told us beautiful information from nature and small communities? So instead of politics and strife, we had reports of seasonal changes ... bird migrations ... the kindness of strangers ... news from beloved public gardens ... photographs and watercolours of nature ... encouraging stories ... uplifting poems. A newspaper that looked like Edith Holden's vision of the world. I believe it would actually inspire people to bring that vision alive in their own lives and the wider world. I would buy it. Would you?

Imagine if an appreciation of nature's beauty went viral.





12 comments:

  1. I think a newspaper with only good news would be awesome. (and no, celebrity awards do not count as news in my book) Interesting facts about life, the universe and everything. Beautiful pictures, beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully it already exists - on the lovely, lovely blogs I read every day :)
    And thankfully, in print, in the many beautiful magazines on sale (although my favourites tend to be published every 2 months/quarterly :/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Claire, I had the same thought, and even before I read your comment.

      This does exist, on beautiful blogs.

      Certainly on this one.

      Delete
  3. yes, it's a lovely idea. i believe there are some magazines/publications that fit the bill: "yes!" magazine, "the sun"...but a newspaper is rather different, and would be so cheering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I would buy it. I attempted to do something like that with my "Through the Year" chapbook project. I am so sorry that I could not finish it. I hope to get back to it someday(when/if I have more time and resources) and complete it, and maybe even start a second volume (one can dream!).

    Thank you for your lovely blog full of gentle posts and beautiful news. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, I loved it so much.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful idea, instead of a small piece at the last page (like we have in our local newspaper), nature, animals, flowers, plants, mushrooms etc. would fill the whole newspaper! On the front page, breaking news: "First anemones of the spring spotted in..." Or "The deer family of ... are now happy parents of two healthy fawns". Oh how beautiful that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, exactly this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. Typing on my phone ... very slowly... so can't answer all individually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, your thoughts & all of these comments! Yes yes and yes, I've been trying to orient my days and yearly cycle around the time-scales of plants and animals for a while now. I love the idea of turning it into a sort of newspaper-- or rather, many newspapers, regionally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes just lovely! Whole heartedly agree – have been imagining something similar myself, admittedly a little more centred around art and creativity but around here that is so closely entwined with nature the overlap would be huge.

    ReplyDelete