bright heart and bee-sung hopes



The sky is exuberantly blue today, like a shell cracked open to reveal the hidden heart of the old, solemn sea-king within. It's beautiful, but I feel a little sad, because it's also like the first step towards the long, long summer. If only every day could be a spring, and every night an enchanted winter.

But just now, the eaves and rosemary leaves and the grass are glazed with rich, blissful light - not even four o'clock and we have the golden hour. So I need not worry yet. It may look like summer's approach, but there are many weeks of gentleness in the year yet.

The day seems rather wishful, as if it wants people to go out in it, with picnic baskets, and cameras, and comfortable shoes for afternoon strolls without any more purpose than being in the world, loving it.





5 comments:

  1. Some days are like that aren't they - just perfect. Today we have a thin drizzley rain and overcast skies, it all looks a little grey and you don't really want to be out in it, also very muggy - definitely not a perfect day :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this time of year, the slow emergence into spring. I too wish it could stay, for I don't do too well in summer, but I have learnt to love each season for what it offers. I will just try to hold this feeling of slow unfolding and birthing of new growth inside me for as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If only every day could be a spring, and every night an enchanted winter." Oh my word. Yes. If only.

    There is already an aching, tender hopefulness in the air. I adore this time of the year, but it passes far too quickly into Summer. The twilights now, though, are absurdly romantic. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there are things that happen reminding us to enjoy the season at hand because a new one will arrive. Even amongst our beautiful summer i sense autumns presence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words are magic, Sarah. Pure magic.

    ReplyDelete