worlds of weather



The night is filled with rain. All the old dreams of the hills and plains are falling on my suburb. Dragon-coiled dreams, and long lonely dreams of winds that have never touched human skin, and dreams of deep rivers gritted with gold.

* *

The morning lies subdued by magic.


And a faint, soft drizzle falls all through the day. It's not-quite-rain, and it keeps me indoors, deep in other worlds. I am reading Mansfield Park just as slow as slow can go, and loving Fanny as always, and trying as always to find value in Edmund Bertram. If Jane Austen's books were weather, Mansfield Park would be a day of drizzling rain. I like best the winds of Emma, and the gloomy oceanic skies of Persuasion which break at last into ripe sunlight at the end.

Do you have a favourite Austen book? You will tell me Pride and Prejudice, of course. But before you answer, read this, and watch this if you really think Emma is less likeable than Elizabeth.


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful words as always...
    I confess I'm not a great Austen fan (studied Persuasion for A level English - I thought it SO contrived and definitely her weakest)
    But I LOVE that Daughter loves her - she's read my delightful Collector's Library editions several times :D
    I don't know if you ever saw this http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt1117666/ But I thought it was brilliant in every way - the concept, the writing, the cast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that my university lecturer for British lit was an absolute genius, and he brought real fun to the reading of her books.

      I have seen Lost In Austen, yes :-)

      Delete
    2. Certainly, a great teacher makes all the difference! My favourite English teacher at school LOVED the Romantic poets - so began my lifelong love of Keats and Co... xx

      Delete
  2. i always preferred "sense and sensibility" to "pride and predjudice"---i never really cared for mr. knightly, and thought elizabeth not terribly congenial, and her sisters, while funny as the caricatures thatt they are, didn't engage me as characters. "p & p" is humorous, as are austen's books in general, but somehow i just like the others better. i actually think i like "emma" best, because it has her trademark humor, but the characters seem to grow more through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear Jane Austen! I had a brilliant professor at University who deepened my love for these books too, but I was already head over heels. :) At the time I declared Persuasion my favorite; I just found it utterly breathtaking and elegant and the love story so beautiful and tender. I will always remember that letter on the desk at the end... You are inspiring me to revisit my collection of books, and Emma particularly. She always was a little trying to me; perhaps I need to try again. Enjoy your rainy Mansfield day, how lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. the article you linked to is right; Mr. Knightley IS far superior to Darcy. I always thought so too! Harbored quite a crush on him from the original film when I was a girl. And on paper, he is just brilliant. Well, I really must get out my books again! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Persuasion. Anne Eliot's story is my favorite. I think I need to revisit Emma...

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful:

    The night is filled with rain. All the old dreams of the hills and plains are falling on my suburb. Dragon-coiled dreams, and long lonely dreams of winds that have never touched human skin, and dreams of deep rivers gritted with gold.

    ReplyDelete