white lace witches

I am a teacup and white lace dress woman, but there is hill shadow in my soul. I had my first education from old briny wind coming in from forgotten beaches and amongst deep, haunted woods. I was ghost-bothered, fairy-followed. Later, in the quiet suburbs, inbetween playing with paper dolls and drawing horses, I learned to read tarot, see memories, and unclock time. I walked out of my shoes and up trees and into mysteries, with rock music playing in the background. Still, I love the smallest flowers, gentle books, embroidered handkerchiefs.




Maybe it is because I grew up on a hill with the wild sea wind. I never developed an affinity for walls and doors. There has always  been so much to love - shadow, moss, owls, Devonshire teas, antique stories, barren rooms, plain white, fleece fairies, tea leaf prophecies, old unearthed words, fierce hair, nose rings, silk and lace petticoats, kittens with ribbon collars, wolves ... Surely there's space enough in a heart for it all.

Today I added this wonderful website to my favourites list, where it sits next to this one. Plain Granny wisdom from the mountains, and fairy dreaming in the flowering woods. They seem to be opposites. I should pick just one for my inspiration. I should myself be just one. I should choose between Sarah or Ada, white lace dress-wearer or witch at the edge of the world. I should post pink blossoms or wintered mountains, feral dreaming or old-fashioned sweet-sounding nature notes. I should remember to maintain a brand, be consistent, have a style, keep focussed, stay authentic.

But to hell in a handbasket with authenticity. It's far more fulfilling to be open, wild, and curious.



13 comments:

  1. "But to hell in a handbasket with authenticity. It's far more fulfilling to be open, wild, and curious."

    Yesssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

    I can never seem to fit myself, into just one box. :-) So thank you so much, for saying this.

    And for the links, I'm sure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think true authenticity is being strong in your occupation of every version of your Self that there is...welcome them all in, represent every different atmosphere that you find in your soul, dont subscribe yourself to one thing and try to paint the rainbow of your identity with one colour. flower fairies can flitter on storm ridden hills if you dream it together!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, yes, yes! Every word of this post--and the soul-stirring image--resonated with me. Indeed, there is so much to love and welcome into our spirits. I am a unity of diversities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for fulfilment and the dispensing of 'shoulds!' I imagine there are many more both/ands than either/ors :) It's taken me a long time to accept I adore the crisp collars and ornate robes of high-church services, as well as the wildwood rituals of the druids... Both speak deeply to my Soul, and I'm only half-alive if I deny one.
    Thank you for writing this, dear Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if more people mingled religions they would find there really are few conflicts at the heart of the matter. A Catholic priest once said to me one of the most pagan sentiments I've heard, and I realised there are simply many different ways of talking about Life and Love.

      Delete
  5. You are you
    you have a beautiful soul.. just be
    you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MathFx Pro Review

    http://centumentltdreview.com/mathfxpro-review/

    Math FX Pro Review – The Real Truth Exposed. Don’t Join MathFXPro! Read my honest review before you Join MathFXPro System!

    Product Name: MathFXPro

    Official Website: CLICK HERE

    http://autobinarysignalssoftwarereviews.com/mathfxpro-review/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! To the bones and the pearls, the china and the bogged vessels. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am certain that true authenticity means embracing and celebrating all the sides of oneself. i love both the soft and gentle and delicate side of things, domestics joys and daily tendernesses; and also the dark and mysterious and stringent side of life, bleached bone, passion, deep passages. i can identify with the loving and merciful madonna or kwan yin, and i can also identify with durga or even kali. i think the granny wisdom and the fairy dreaming are not mutually exclusive, and we need both. and some of us simply *are* both...

    thank you for the links---they look delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful to be alive and true to whatever shall rise
    life is a changing thing
    and all you mention sounds like a wonderful mix to me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful Sarah! We are multifaceted beings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully said, love your blog :).

    ReplyDelete