signs of love

Seen at the emergency clinic today.

A very old man sitting beside a very old woman, speaking to her quietly, reminding her again and again, with almost perfect patience, how to sign her name.

A father on a pouffe in the play area, his sick little girl half asleep on his chest. As he glances up, a universe of love and worry are in his tired eyes.

Another father reading from his tablet as a teenaged girl sits texting beside him : old enough to be at the doctor by herself, but he is there, and everything about his solid, business-like posture says, of course I'm here.

A young couple kissing their little boy.

Sisters exchanging a look as their mother breathes, just breathes.

A father smiling soft, wordless encouragement at his bleary-eyed son.

A mother holding out her hand - the one not wrapped in bandages - to lead her Downs Syndrome daughter along.





Of course, it always comes down to the important things when you're sitting in the emergency clinic. The trick is to remember what's important when you're everywhere else too.




12 comments:

  1. ((((hugs)))) and prayers that all is well, and that the love you witnessed all around you at the clinic has carried you through whatever emergency you were facing.

    Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I deeply appreciate your true friendship. All is well.

      Delete
  2. I'm so thankful for people like you in the world, out there observing the love, rather than focusing on the hate or the fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I focus on the hate and fear too. I just didn't write about it yesterday, quite deliberately, in a rather futile effort to be a better person.

      Delete
    2. Never a futile effort :-)
      *views*coming*tsunami*
      Oh dear, I had better send you all my prayers and blessings as well!

      Delete
    3. oh goodness, please don't scare me like that! :-)

      you're right, it is never a futile effort to try to be better.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful. I am entirely moved. x

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It concerns me that you were in the emergency room. I hope that you and your family are all well. This post is lovely though. We should all remember this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, things are improving now. :-)

      Delete
  5. I love your observations... that you saw past the surface into what was most meaningful. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, I was close to tears as I read this. Having a sad music playing in the background wasn't helping either...

    ReplyDelete