a reading list

We have sunk back into real time finally - daylight savings is over! Now that the night rises earlier, there is more time for comforting activities like drinking tea and reading while snuggled under a quilt made from sweet, beloved babyhood clothes.




Here is what I'm reading this week.

Elizabeth of York by Alison Weir.
Elizabeth Plantagenet is one of my favourite historical people, and I'm always delighted to find a biography of her. This one is nice and big, and I hope it's better than the historical biographies I've read lately which seemed more about showing off the author's research skills than telling a story.

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.
I've been meaning to read this for years.

The Moral Lives of Animals by Dale Peterson.
One of the problems with becoming vegetarian for reasons of conscience is that it's hard to remain comfortable in a carnivorous society. I'm not actually against people eating meat, I just don't like all the advertisements for it, and the processing systems in place around it, and the attitude our culture has towards animals in general. I suspect this book may make matters worse for me.

Black Thorn, White Rose, edited by Datlow and Windling
A selection of adult fairytales.

Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige.
The story of a woman's life in, and ultimate escape from, Scientology. I picked it up at random and I'm not sure I'll read it the whole way though. So far it's just a very sad tale of parental neglect.

A Quaker Book of Wisdom by Robert Lawrence Smith.
This little book is sweet and endearing, but unfortunately by the halfway point it still hasn't given me a lot of insight into what Quakers believe, only what they do. Mind you, the Friends are a very practical group, so perhaps this is fitting.

What are you reading lately? Do you have any recommendations for me?

4 comments:

  1. I have fallen into the hands of Pinterest lately and have abandoned my books!! Actually, I feel drawn to visit our small town library. I have a bookcase full of non-fiction, and I'm not in the mood currently for the fiction books there. I am enjoying the articles in my new edition of Taproot magazine until I have time to browse teh library shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest is a joy and an addiction to the visually-minded person :) Taproot is a wonderful magazine. I assume you read Amanda Soule's weblog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up "The Emotional Lives of Animals" at the library yesterday and knew I was damning myself to another go round with being sad and uncomfortable with the world. I find it hard to navigate all the demands of life and keep my heart soft towards the plight of animals. I know there are people who can maintain an ideal diet and never compromise, but I find it such a challenge (not because of my appetite, but because of dinner invites, parties, special circumstances, etc.) and then I wrestle with enormous guilt for failing my ideal. So I've given myself permission to eat what I need to at any given time without the guilt and maintain my vegetarian diet at home, when I am in control of my choices. It's working ,pretty well, but I'm sure the book will stir up my feelings again. (Love anything by Lewis, btw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in a similar place to you. I try to fight against the fact that, for personal health reasons, I really do need to eat meat. My heart tells me not to, but my body requires it and there seem to be no other solutions left to me.

      As for eating out - we have a rule in our family that hospitality and good manners are primary. You can advise someone ahead of time that you are vegetarian, but if you arrive to a meal somewhere else and there is no choice but to eat meat, you do so graciously (and with a prayer for the soul of the animal.) My mother set the bar many decades ago when she found a slug in the salad she'd been served at an elderly person's house, and she just went on eating.

      Not everyone will agree with my stance on this, but it's what is right for my family.

      Delete