a philosophy of education

I believe education can be best as a conversation, a coming-together, with other people in the world ... past and present, through books and videos and real-life meetings ... and also with nature and the spirit of life. And so our ways of learning have changed to complement our changing ways of being in the world.

Regardless of what methodology you use, if you're teaching children (or undertaking an education for yourself) only because it will bring about a particular end - a degree, a career pathway, the fulfillment of social expectation - then the mind may well be filled up but the soul will go untouched by what is being learnt. What's the point of that? We spend a few short and beautiful years in this earthly experience before moving on. Is our purpose really to walk a treadmill of school-and-work, all for the sake of money and prestige? Or are we here to truly learn the wonderful, hard, enthralling lessons we are given, and to give back something ourselves so that our fellow souls may benefit?

Love is the heart of true education. I don't just mean learning a subject because you love it, but more than that - learning a subject because it helps you better love the world. And I'm not saying that a person should only learn what they enjoy. Sometimes along our path we'll meet a subject we don't love to study, but we must for our greater good. We're willing to do that, aren't we, when it's given to us in a way which opens our hearts to life? And when we know its purpose is for the betterment of our soul's connection to the world, not just our position in society. 

If education isn't leading you into love, perhaps you could ask yourself what is the point. 


7 comments:

  1. Inspired. Public schools could learn a lot from you, Sarah. In school, I thought so much of what we were required to study was a complete waste of time. But somehow it soaked in, and now I see that each and every course was invaluable.

    I am still learning.
    ~ Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky, I was required to learn much in school that was of no value to me whatsoever and infact betrayed me by stealing my precious time for things other people felt were important - or even they didn't feel that way, they were just going through the motions to get their wage. I probably sound bitter and I'm not, honestly - I used my dissatisfaction with school to make something better for my family.

      Delete
  2. I so agree and would have so enjoyed you as my teacher!
    I often told my son, choose work that you enjoy, it is so important, for you spend a lot of time doing it. Anything in the world, what would you like to do, what would you like to learn?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'm a very good teacher :-) But I'm certain you are very good indeed at teaching yourself.

      Delete
  3. these photos....
    are so very lovely ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a great deal to me. xx

      Delete
  4. It should touch the soul... That's so very well said. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete