understanding beauty

I used to believe it was possible to find beauty anywhere you went. But I've changed my mind over the years. It seems to me now that beauty is something which arises only from love.

I can not love a city, therefore it is not beautiful to me, although it may be to other people. I do not love tiger lillies, succulents, desert landscapes. All these things are beautiful, but not to me.

And I used to think that beauty was not sacred, because that idea excluded the sacredness of ugly things. But now I see what people tried to tell me all along. If beauty is the reflection of our love, then of course it is an expression of heaven. Not heaven in the flower or the ocean or whatever it is we love - but heaven, love, in us.

5 comments:

  1. so poetic....
    your images and words.....always so calming....

    happy sigh... and happy weekend... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much :-) wishing a happy weekend to you and your family also.

      Delete
  2. Lovely image - so nice to hear your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I can call this post beautiful, because I love it. :) I have found that if I ask God to help me see people and things through his eyes (especially people) He often answers that prayer, and what I once had trouble seeing beauty in is now beautiful. Sometimes to the point I can't stand it. (I didn't need His help loving this post FYI) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words, Amy. I've done that before. I attended Mass with a priest who was very dull and mumbled - just going through the motions, it seemed. I was irritated, until I saw him how God must surely see him, a beloved dedicant to the sacred - and then, even though I was still bored sitting there, and even though I truly followed a different religious path myself, I felt only love and admiration for that old priest. I must remember to ask God to help me more in that way.

      Delete